Volunteering with AMA-Richmond
Want to take your AMA membership—and your career—to the next level? Get involved as an AMA-Richmond volunteer! Engaged volunteers get much more value from their AMA memberships—more connections, more opportunities to learn and more chances to grow. In fact, volunteering is such a valuable experience, we reserve the privilege of volunteering for members only!
As an AMA-Richmond volunteer, you will have the opportunity to:
- Get more—and more meaningful—networking opportunities with marketing professionals in the Richmond region, and beyond.
- Build existing skills or develop new skills in marketing, communications, event management, leadership and organizational development.
- Enhance the Richmond-area marketing community by lending your time and expertise to strengthen one of the region’s premier marketing organizations.
- Join the vibrant, dynamic, professional group of volunteers who are leading AMA-Richmond to new levels every day!
AMA-Richmond volunteers are just like you: busy people trying to juggle busy schedules. We volunteer our time based on our own interests and schedules. Our success and growth is the result of the efforts of many volunteers—join us and you, too, can make a difference!
AMA-Richmond is always in need of volunteers at all levels to help us continue to achieve our Vision to be “the” place for marketing professionals to connect for networking and professional development. Check out our list of current volunteer opportunities, and let us know where you can contribute.
AMA-Richmond is always in need of volunteers at all levels to help us continue to achieve our Vision to be “the” place for marketing professionals to connect for networking and professional development. If you are interested in volunteering, please contact Aylin Berkowitz at email@example.com and let her know where you would like to contribute. Below is a list of current volunteer opportunities:
Ideal Experience: A local PR pro that understands our industry, knows who to pitch and enjoys the follow-ups.
- Work with Programming to create a press release for each Signature Speaker Series and other major events
- Work with Board for ad hoc announcements
- Keep the media list up to date
- Build relationships with local journalists and encourage media requests
- Post events on free sites
- Collects clips/AMA-RVA news
- Manage and delegate tasks to volunteers
- Time Commitment = 5-10 hours/month
The membership committee is looking for some outgoing members who would like to help out as Greeters. The Greeters will attend monthly luncheons and other events, and help out at the membership information table before and after the luncheon. They will greet members and guests and answer any questions they may have.
- Time Commitment: About 1-2 hours per month
- Need: About 2 greeters per luncheon event.
Membership Relationship Management
The membership committee is looking for some outgoing members who would like to get involved as Membership Volunteers. The Membership volunteer assists the membership committee by participating in membership retention campaigns. This involves communicating with new and existing members, sending out thank you cards, welcoming new members, as well as calling and following up with new and/or existing members.
- Time Commitment: About 2-4 hours per month
- Need: 2-3 people
Volunteer Team Leader
This person will help direct and coordinate event volunteers, as needed. (Commitment is approximately 45 minutes. Arrive at 11:15.)
This person(s) helps to coordinate the flow of traffic and answer questions (Commitment is approximately 30 minutes. Arrive at 11:30.)
In Your Seat Programs
This person places programs in each set in the dining room. (Commitment is approximately 15 minutes. Arrive at 11:30.)
Presentation Q&A Microphone
This person helps out with the Q+A after the presentation by taking the hand-held microphone to the person asking the question. Keep an eye on time and indicate the final question so the event ends promptly at 1:00. Return microphone to the days’ emcee (usually the president) to close the event. (Commitment is approximately 15 minutes between 12:45 and 1:00 pm)
This person(s) coordinates with the UR staff to indicate when the buffet is open and keeps an eye on any food shortages, answers questions and directs traffic. (Commitment is approximately 30 minutes. Arrive at 11:15.)
These people ensure that the pop up banner, backdrop, and podium signage are setup and clearly visible. Requires 2 people. (Commitment is approximately 15 to 30 minutes. Arrive at 11:15.)
This person(s) identifies anyone looking lost and helps them get acclimated to the event. Requires a willingness to talk to strangers. (Commitment is approximately 30 minutes. Arrive at 11:30.)
This person will help identify speaker needs and topics, reach out to possible speakers and coordinate commitments for the 2016/17 season.
Programming / Social Events
Greeters & Registration
This person(s) will greet members and guests, hand out nametags, ensure that all guests sign in.
This person(s) will help with location scouting, negotiation of discounted or free services (appetizers, for example, or happy hour drinks prices even if it’s not happy hour)
This person will draft email announcements for event promotion, as needed.
Collegiate Relations Volunteer
This person will assist the Director of Collegiate Relations in establishing a relationship between local universities and the AMA Richmond Chapter. Specific responsibilities include:
- Establish contact with the marketing departments of the colleges and universities in the chapter area.
- Invite collegiate Chapter members and professors to professional Chapter meetings.
- Assist with the annual Robert R. Barber Scholarship.
- Offer to speak to college students about the benefits of AMA via a short class presentation.
- Time commitment: About 2 hours/month. In March and April about 3-4 hours/month due to the Scholarship Interview/Award process.